Solliers lies South
of the Thatchers Arms Public House
SOLLIERS alias Sullyers,
later the Poor House Mount Bures. A tenement with 6 acres
in four parcels, copyhold.
1504. Richard Medow and Anne his wife for Sullyers
tenement, formerly John Quilter; Copyhold
1505. Richard Medow to scour his ditch opposite Sulyers
leading from Mount Bures to Wakes Golne.
1552. John Squyer, formerly Margaret Jermin widow,,
for Sullyers tenement and 6 acres. Field positions described
including Garners Tye - as under Rumpes.
1610 John and Jane Potter have a tenement and 3 acres
1614 John Potter died and Widow Potter fnow inherits
1635 Thomas and Elizabeth Bumpstead take possesion of half
1638. William Potter and his wife Anne Potter ( son
of John) took possesion of the tenement and 3 acres at a rental
They also release one tenement
to William Moore of Alphamstone and his wife for a rental
of 3s 4d
1641 They surrender to William and Elizabeth Moore
of Alphamstone. William died in 1651 when he and Elizabeth
also held Akermans ( now Takeleys)
1640. Thomas Bumpstead and wife Elizabeth Culpecke
have other half of Sollyers - one tenement 3 acres, rent halved
Is. 8d. original house, now probably two tenements.
1653. Thomas Moore, son of William and Elizabeth, now
takes over the property with his mother ( 1662 rental shows
them holding a portion each)
1662 Thomas Moore for a parcel of Sollyers. John Brett
senior and wife Elizabeth, late wife of Thomas Bumpstead,
for other parcel of Sollyers
1663. Thomas Bumpstead and Elizabeth Bumpstead surrender
to their daughter Susanna, wife of John Moore
1683. Susanna, widow of John Moore, who died 1676 bequeathed
Sollyers and the stables only to their son John when it is
stated "Thomas Moore's land of Akermans lies to the east",
that is present Takeleys.
The same year Court Rolls state that Thomas Moore died 1676
and his son Thomas aged 16 inherits the land comprising of
the 3 acres
1736 Ralph Polley now ocupies parcel of Sollyers
1768 Ralph Polley, obtained 3 acres if Sollyers, see
Rumpes. He leaves this in his Will to his other daughter Sarah,
wife of Charles Newman
1769 Ralph Polley ownes the 3 acres whilst Rose Moore
had the tenement and yard
1797 Sarah Stedman, only sister and heir of John Stedman
deceased, had Sollyers tenement, now called Akermans, which
the family also held in addition to the main Akermans across
the lane then held by their relative Thomas Stedman.
Possible date for the opening of the Poor House
1803. Sarah Stedman surrendered Sollyers dwelling to
Charles Newman above, main trustee for the Poor House. Permission
to provide one had been granted 1797. Charles already had
the other half available. The site is known from hearsay.
1812. Thomas Newman, son of Charles and Sarah for Sollyers
lands of 3 acres and tenement. They apparently retained the
title to their half.
The Poor House did not last long. It was sold by the Guardians
at the Sudbury Union to Mrs Mary Newman, wife of John Newman,
miller, and daughter of Philip Salmon of Balls farm
Mary had enfranchised the old Poor House tenement in 1872
1889.Caroline bought from her mother Mary Newman. The
house is now mainly rebuilt though part of the north end may
be original or was possibly a barn attached.
1960s. The Town House
(TM) and The Retreat were other names used for Sollyers, until
John and Janet Forbes-Hunter re-used the original Sollyersname.
Apparently Sollyers was a double
tenement for two centuries before 1797 when it became the
Poor House. No registers for the Poor House are known as yet.
is based on the handwritten notes of Ida and may differ slightly
from what`s published in her book
were handwwritten in pencil on many pieces of paper, consequently
it was very difficult to transcribe them with any accuracy
It is also difficult to know when the names Solliers and Sollyers
changed, Ida starts to use
Sollyers from 1610 onwards