Notes on the Newman
In the early 1700`s Robert Newman of
Boxted was tenant of Mount Hall Farm and Estate, the Lord of the Manor
was then Edward Cressener of Gt Tey
By the mid 1700`s, Thomas Newman was the tenant, almost certainly the
son of Robert.
He lived to 88 and built the vault in the church for his son Thomas
who died aged 23
Court Rolls show that he lived at the Hall for over 50 years and actually
owned PearTree farm freehold which was the old Brookhouse, below Elms.
Old Brookhouse was there on the 1777 map but demolished by the 1838
Meanwhile the Manor had passed by sale to Osgood Hanbury and he sold
the Lordship at the end of 1790 to Abraham Newman ( son of Thomas from
The deeds show that Abraham who was by now a very wealthy Grocer of
London had recently
purchased in 1780 a plot of land (4.5ac) on which he built his new house
with its barns, stables etc and it lay between the old Brookhouse Farm
and Withers farm ( presumably New Elms Farmhouse)
Abraham bought in Withers, Nortons, Smiths etc and any other land he
could lay his hand on so that by his death in 1796 the Manor was considerable
In his Will he left Mount Bures Manor and Brookhouse to his daughter
This must have been New Elms as the old house was occupied by farm worker,
The Elms farm name did not come into being until the land was all apportioned
by his daughter, Ann Caswell and her husband George, when they in 1826
re-allocated various fields to their tenants
The Brookhouse land all let to one tenant
earlier contained all the fields today comprising Elms Farm
Also Abrahams father Thomas was stated to own the old farmhouse, late
called Brookhouse and now known as PearTree farm
Obviously Abraham liked the old name for his new house and so did John
Garrard when he built his house by the Main Rd (B1508) in 1860
Abraham ( or his father on retirement)
placed in the Hall for life, Charles Newman,
The Hall must have been derelict as it was completely renovated in 1854.
Charles must have been a cousin as he was a trustee to Abrahams daughter
Ann and also a great thorn in her flesh( according to letters
On the family tree, Charles of Lamarsh,
Thomas of Mount Bures Hall and Robert were all sons of Robert of Boxted
who owned the Hall in 1736
The branch of Newmans at the Mill all appeared to come from Boxted .
The entire descendants of Charles Newman and Ann Constable is shown
in a Chancery Suit which was held over possession of Butlers Farm in
1839 when the heirs George Caswell Newman sold it.
Finally to Colonel Pott who was the husband of Abrahams grandaughter.
It is interesting to note that with Butlers
Farm went a small farm called Coppins of 35 acres which was one of those
cottages called a Blacksmiths Shop at Valley Green.
Coppins Green is listed on the old 15th Century Court Rolls and still
in one of Gordon Webbers (dec) fields
The Polley family had the farmhouse called
Rumpes with 20 acres behind which according to a 1790 map was a pound
called Garners Tye.
Apparently Ralph Polley built the house towards the end of the 1700`s
and one of his daughters
Sarah, married Charles Newman who dies young leaving a son Thomas Newman,
This Thomas was from Boxted apparently
where he had a Mill and consequently built the one at Mount Bures between
1819 and 1839, also the Catchlands Cottages and bakehouse for his son
John, the double tenement which later became a private house and then
the Thatchers Arms under Greene King.
The 8 acres of Abrams Croft in 1662 had
no house on it until the end of the 1700`s but was sold to Thomas who
was a minor somewhere around 1816
On the oldest 1557 rentals a manor of Abrams Croft was then called Pudney
at the Beake and had Gallows Croft beside it with Twyfield to the North.
Abrams Coft in the 1700`d had leased a little field called LowerLands
later called Trenches and then on a later Tithe map Sower Grassland
A Rebecca Newman had the 4 acres of SowerLands as early as 1685, so
perhaps this is where the family first bought or leased land in Mount
Bures - the name Newman does not appear on the 1614 freehold rentals
It is interesting to see that a Mr Newman French marries a Sarah Newman
back in 1753.
Solliers 3 acres always went with Rumpes
Frm in the 1700`s and passes through Polley to Thomas Newman and Rebecca.
This little farm called Solliers of 6 acres was split towards the end
of 1600`s and the house with the barn eventually became the Poor House
a century later, by which time it had become confusingly part of Akermans
Luckily an old description of Solliers Farm house clearly showed it
to be the Poor House and later Mary Newman wife of John who built the
Thatchers bought back the Poor House in 1843
Joseph Newman sold off Rumpes & 10
acres in 1890 but retained the Mill and Abrams until ?
My research stopped at 1863, at the death of the Manor when the resulting
Lordship was sold away
The present Brook House was built after
1861 when John Garrard bought Pudneys, Butlers ,
Coppins, Bakers hall, Hobb at the Well, Balls, Valley Green, Moles and
other Bures Hamlet property
Abraham Newman who built Elms purchased
the Little House opposite with 7 acres, once called Olivers
but now PearTree Cottage
This was at the time owned by Will and Martha Grimwood who were related
to John Constable the artist
A Will Lott occupied one of the cottages near Coes, John
Constable owned Rose Cottage (Colchester Rd) in 1838.
This John however may not have been the Artist
Archaeological Group Bulletin dated 1997