Mount Bures Community Web Site
Although not strictly in Bures or
Mount Bures this is a very intriguing tale.
Background History to Smallbridge Hall which was owned by the Waldegrave family.
14 cent: The property we know
today as Smallbridge Hall was constructed during this period of time.
Extracts from "The Wormingford
Story" by Winifred Beaumont:
1523: Sir William Waldegrave 1 transformed the gentle slopes of Wormingford into a deer park and connected it to his grand red brick house by a bridge across the Stour. From that time the name Small Brigg gradually changed to Smallbridge House.
1555: Smallbridge House completely re-built by the Waldegraves.
1561: Sir William entertained
his Queen, Elizabeth 1 for two days in August.
1578-9: On her second visit to Suffolk, she avoided Colchester where the small pox was "very bad" and probably only came into Wormingford for a "divertisment" staged in the deer park. Tradition says she visited Church Hall and partook of cold meat and drank a flagon of ale, and was so pleased that she wrote her initials on the window with a diamond ring. There is a 16th century roundel in a window of Church Hall depicting the Tudor Rose surmounted by "E.R." and a Crown. Other houses, known to have been visited by her, have similar roundels.
1588: Sir William spent a fortune
on entertaining his Queen and another on raising and equipping 500 men
to resist the Spanish Armada "all choice men and singularly well
1600: The house is known to have had a chapel dedicated to St. Anne and it also had a gatehouse.
Circa 1648:- The lodge was given
to Giles Barnadiston (from Clare) by his mother-in-law Lady Jemmima
Waldegrave (wife of Wiliiam).
1650: The Lodge indicated on a local map of the area
1693:The property stayed in the Waldegrave family until 1693 when it was sold.
18th cent:- The Lodge was demolition
during the 1700`s
1874: The house was again rebuilt and further restored by Lady Phylis Macrae, daughter of the Marchioness of Bristol in 1932.
In 1900 a story was told in the village
"how once there came a great company to visit the squire. Men on
hossback, men arunning and blowing bugles and hollering and they all
had flags". They galloped over Lodge Hills and "wor a wunnerful
During 2006, a local landowner reported that her Ferreter had discovered what appeared to be "foundations" while he was digging out one of his trapped ferrets whils`t rabbeting.
Colchester Archaeological Group were invited to investigate this anomaly.
The specific whereabouts of this site
have been withheld in order
Artefacts discovered on the site, date
the building to approximately 1570
This site is on private property and
has been subject to various geophysic surveys as well as conventional
Acknowledgment to Colchester Archaeological
Group for allowing publication of this material