are we ?
parish of Mount Bures takes its name from the "Mount"
or "Mound" which stands at the centre of the village
and "bur" which means building or dwelling.
The village resides in Essex, the River Stour to the North
and Wakes Colne to the south.
Bures was previously called "Bures St John, Little
Bures or Bures Sackville" to distinguish it from Bures
Hamlet and Bures St Mary.
Today Mount Bures is its adopted name.
The railway opened in 1848 and runs through the centre of
The nearest rail station is located at Bures Hamlet
web site has now been downloaded into the British Library Archives,
which also includes the National Library of Scotland;
the National Library of Wales; Bodleian Libraries, Oxford; University
Library, Cambridge; and the Library of Trinity College, Dublin