Welcome to the Mount Bures Community Web Site

Long Lost Balls Farm


mount bures

Balls Farm was most probably demolished around the middle part of 1943,
as it stood directly in the path of the proposed Wormingford Airfield

balls farm location
The 1825 map of the area shows three cottages along Balls Chase, no idea if these were demolished together with Balls Farm.

 


Balls, Ablongrove, Harveys Farm together with Woodhouse all demolished.
Airfield runways
Perimeter Layout

Redundant entrance,
Balls Chase leading to Balls Farm
Photographs taken by the RAF in June 1943
These buildings appear to have been abandoned for several years.

Notes:-
Very little is known about this property, apart from the references listed below:-

(a) Court Rolls of 1769 indicate, John Patterson as Landlord with Thomas Rayner as Tenant paying £3.8s rent annually
Ref: Ida Mcmasters Book page 138

(b) Philip Salmon, (b 1783) Widower. Married in Lt Bromley Church to Lydia 3rd April 1832 ( b 1792)
http://essexandsuffolksurnames.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/little_bromley_marriages_grooms_1813-1837.pdf
later to be Tenant of Balls Farm
daughter, Mary Salmon b1814 married John Newman

(c) Mount Bures Workhouse 1841.
The Poor House did not last long. It was sold by the Guardians
at the Sudbury Union to Mrs Mary Newman, wife of John Newman, miller, and daughter of Philip Salmon of Balls farm

http://www.mount-bures.co.uk/workhouse/workhouse2.htm

(d)Whites Trade Directory 1848
Philip Salmon, Farmer
http://www.historyhouse.co.uk/placeM/essexm17b.html

(e)Register of Electors County of Essex 1841/42


This seems to indicate the Salmons were tenant farmers. The owner being Joseph Wilkinson

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=philip+salmon+mount+bures&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

(f)1851 Mount Bures Census
Philip Salmon b1783, so at this Census date he would have been 68
http://www.mount-bures.co.uk/1851.htm

(g) History of Wormingford Airfield
" Wormingford was originally earmarked for an Eighth Heavy Bomb Group, being built by Richard Costain Ltd. and helped by a number of sub contractors during the period 1942/1943"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Wormingford .
How could it have been in operation in 1942, when the Balls Farm photographed in June 1943, shows it still standing

(h) British History online
"In 1943 the airfield was extended to provide 3 runways, 2 hangars, 50 aircraft parking areas, and living quarters for 3,000 men"
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/essex/vol10/pp295-299
This seems to be a more likely statement

(i)Ida McMaster in her bóok "Mount Bures Its Lands and its Peoples" makes only two references:-

Page 91:- No early records have been found for Balls Farm, they may well be with the War Department"
Page 104- see reference above (a) but with the addition of:- "Balls was demolished in 1942 for the war time airfield"

j) 1914 Kellys Trade Directory
Arthur Bartholomew, Farmer
Born 1871 in Mount Bures and married Bertha

Last known Tenant

 

 

Research Alan Beales 25/02/2017
updated 20/3/2017